Monday 9 June 2014

Rik Mayall: My Hero

I love Rik Mayall, and yesterday when I had heard he'd passed away, I actually cried.

Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson both taught me one particular thing about comedy: to not give a fuck and enjoy it!

For me Rik and Ade were the real life Tom & Jerry, their slapstick comedy was, and still is the best out there, no one comes near to their them.

Rik Mayall taught me about facial expressions, don't think I've ever seen a more expressed face in my life, he was a comic genius.

There's an episode in Bottom, "S'Out", where they are out 'camping', and have a fight over hobnobs. They don't talk for the whole scene just pure and utter slapstick, Tom and Jerry creators would have been proud of that scene, it has me in stitches every time.

Another hilarious fight scene is when they play chess, just another pure slapstick moment, with Tom and Jerry eye bulging acting from the duo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yH0Vh3ZBoQ

If you're a budding comedian, whether it be in a group, as a double act, or stand up, watch Rik Mayall, you will learn a lo from him.

RIP Rik, the people's poet is dead :(

No comments:

Post a Comment