Thursday 12 December 2013

I'm completely torn on legalising Cannabis

There are brilliant points for and against legalising Cannabis.

However, I am completely town because of one fact.

Back in 2006, I was arriving at school and I could see a bunch of my friends crying. Obviously I went up and asked if they were OK, and was told that our friend had been killed by being hit by a car.

The driver of the car had smoked Cannabis, not a heavy amount, probably just a few drags of someone else's spliff, got in his car, and killed my friend, he was only 16.

He had his whole life ahead of him, he was funny, he was lovely, and we all still miss him to this day.

The problems with legalising it is, for me, as follows:


  • After the initial high wears off, some people start to look for something stronger
  • If it is legalised, will there be laws surrounding it like there is for alcohol?
  • Will you be able to smoke it during working hours in the smoking areas? 
  • Will you be allowed it 24 hours before you work heavy machinery?
  • How will it be sold? Chemist? Along side normal cigarettes? 
  • Where will the government purchase it from? Or will they be growing their own?
  • Can pilots, train drivers, taxi drivers, bus drivers, lorry drivers, and driving instructors smoke it before they take control of their vehicles?
  • Will you be allowed to smoke it around children?
Not sure many people have been thinking of these other issues that come with it.

For children to be breathing is normal cigarette smoke is bad enough, but to add another element to the dangers of second smoke to it as well, for me, seems worse.


No comments:

Post a Comment