Thursday 19 December 2013

Food Banks

It's a terrible thing when the 7th richest country in the world's people have to rely on food banks.

But does ALL the blame lay on the shoulders of the government, or should the people take some of the blame too?

Personally, I think it's 50/50.

Yes, obviously government has a lot to do with the reason why people need food banks, however people also need to start financing their money better.

I half blame credit cards. People seem to think the money on a credit card is theirs, when in actual fact it's the banks.

Credit Cards lead you into a false sense of security, you think you've paid for the items, when in actual fact, your bank has paid for the items, and they want their money back.

I'm sure some people are quite shocked at how high their credit card bill is, then feel the need to use loan sharks such as Wonga, and unless you can pay off the loan sharks in one full swoop, you'll never get out of debt.

I've known two people to use loan sharks. They both only borrowed £600, but after paying off £400 worth of their owed amount, ended up owning over £1000 due the high % of the APR.

I also blame people wanting their kids to have everything, instead of buying within their means. When I was growing up, my parents couldn't afford most toys, but I never felt like I was missing out on anything, in fact even if my parents were panicking about the financial situation, they never let us know about it, nor did make out we were poor, or couldn't afford stuff.

So why can't other parents do the same?

Once your in debt with a loan shark, theirs no going back. The debt mounts up tremendously quick, and before you know it you need food banks so you can pay off as much as possible each month, and let's not forget it was a Labour government who introduced food banks.

Credit cards should be given to people who can pay it off, and to be honest, people who can pay off credit cards mostly won't need to use one.

Loan sharks should either be made illegal, or their % of APR should capped at a reasonable %.

Also, people should learn to spend within their means, I know I do. If I can't afford, I won't buy, I'll save up for it, or wait until the price has dropped a little and usually when that happens there's a nice discount on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment