Saturday 3 May 2014

Sexism in Comedy

As someone who has had a good try a stand up, and still is trying every now and then, I can tell you there is a lot of sexism in comedy, and I'm one of those guilty of it myself.

When a woman appears on the stage people automatically assume she's going to be a feminist radical, thinking that talking about her menstrual cycle, and menopause is funny.

Even swearing isn't funny (unless you're Irish).

I've been up there, when the whole crowd look at you, men and women alike, disappointed, expecting the worst, and when I tell them funny tales of my family, friends and colleagues, a nice little surprise appears on their faces.

Sadly, it doesn't always win you the laughs, but it does help the audience warm up to.

Now I'm going to be a little hypocritical here, and blame Germaine Greer. The radical feminist who gets on a lot of people's nerves, including mine.

Her opinions are so strong that sometimes, she doesn't do us women any justice, only add the prejudice some people already have.

People seem to forget there are mainstream talented, successful comediennes, such as:


  • Jennifer Saunders
  • Dawn French
  • Sarah Millican
  • Catherine Tate
  • And of course the one and only Victoria Wood!
None of these women go over board, they stick to life, and life's little absurdities. They let us enjoy with them their stories, and sketches, things we can also relate too.

I've noticed, a male comedian is welcome to use any language he likes, he can use the word c***, and he'll get a rapture of laughter, if a woman tries to use it, nothing.

I sort of understand why, as I'm the same when in the audience. I don't laugh when a woman overly swears, unless she's impersonating someone, and I always dread a woman coming onstage just in case she is a young Germaine Greer in the making.

I think there needs to be more support for women in comedy, we need to get more ladies out there telling their hilarious stories and jokes.

Let's throw away the prejudice, and have faith in us ladies. We aren't all wannabe radicals who want to change the world, we just want to make you laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment