Tuesday 12 August 2014

Depression

Another sad passing from the entertainment world today. Robin Williams, a great, fantastic, magical actor, comedian, and gentleman.

It is widely known that Robin Williams suffered from depression, alcoholism, and drug abuse, but the sad truth is, he obviously felt as if there was nothing that could save him, and help him.

That's the problem with depression, it overtakes your mind in the most awful way.

Like many others out there I have suffered from depression, and used to drink myself into a stupor. At the age of 17 I could drink 6 cans of 6% cider a night, go to bed at 2am, and wake up for 6am and get to work.

When I look back now, it terrifies me how I never caused an accident on the way to work.

Alcohol, along with the depression overtakes everything, it's like being addicted to cigarettes, you're constantly thinking about when you can have another one.

People often used to say "What about your mum? Your dad? Doesn't it bother you to see them so upset about you?"

Well yes, it does, but doesn't help, instead it fuels the depression, which fuels your need for alcohol to forget about it.

It's a vicious cycle, one that seems to never slow down, just speed up.

I was lucky enough to have my mother beside me, basically kicking me into touch! Sometimes a bit of tough love is what you need. Other times it's just being listened too, some just want to be left alone.

Depression sufferers are often like Robin Williams. Hilarious, none of my friends believed me when I told them how I felt, I was always the happy go lucky friend, the one people turned to for a laugh.

Some of my friends still don't believe me. Which is fine, as I am lucky enough to have gotten over the worst, but it never leaves you, even now I have bouts of feeling down, all my family can do is wait for me to get out of it.

Those who suffer from depression need more support. I didn't know who I could turn to professionally, I know many others also have felt the same.

If there's one thing to come out of Robin Williams' sad passing, I hope it gives hope, and help to those who feel they have no where to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment